Frequently Asked Questions - The IRONMAN XC Program
1. Why participate in the IRONMAN Executive Challenge Program?
IRONMAN Executive Challenge (XC) is a race within a race that provides an elevated race experience to participating men and women from around the globe. This turn-key program includes streamlined logistics leading up to and throughout race weekend, as well as VIP treatment for the athlete and their guests.
2. Who qualifies for the IRONMAN Executive Challenge?
Executives and other industry professionals are eligible to apply to IRONMAN XC. IRONMAN exercises sole and absolute discretion in determining which applicants are chosen to participate within the program.
3. How can I apply to the IRONMAN Executive Challenge?
Athletes can apply by completing the application. Once submitted, your information will then be reviewed and evaluated.
4. What is the deadline to apply for the 2023 IRONMAN Executive Challenge Program?
The individual event programs will close approximately 30 days prior to race day. However, we do expect the program to sell out quickly.
5. What are the costs associated with the IRONMAN Executive Challenge program?
Depending on the event in which you will compete, the cost for individual packages will range from $6,200 USD to approximately $16,200 USD.
6. What is the payment structure for the event packages?
Once accepted into the XC program, you will make a deposit. Deposit structures are as follows: 70.3 qualifying event = $2,500, 140.6 qualifying event = $3,000. World Championship events are approx. 50% of the package price. The remainder of the package balance owed will be settled 45 days prior to the event date. All payments are processed through Active.com.
7. How many XC athletes will participate at each event?
The number of XC athletes at each event will vary, but you can expect approximately 10-25 participants. Space is limited so we recommend submitting your application early.
8. How will I know whom I will be competing against at events in the XC Series?
Participants and age groupings will be announced after XC registration for a particular event has closed. Announcements typically occur 15 days prior to the event date.
9. What happens if I have already registered for an IRONMAN event, but am accepted into the IRONMAN Executive Challenge Program?
We will confirm your race entry and refund the Age Group entry in place.
10. If I am selected to participate within IRONMAN XC, can my family accompany me on the trip?
Yes, many XC athletes will bring family members. Accommodations have been chosen based on the services they offer for athletes and their families. Additionally, the IRONMAN XC team will assist your family members leading into and on race day, providing them with VIP access. This will ensure they are able to get around with ease, are located in optimal viewing areas, and can be there to award you with a finisher medal once you have crossed the finish line.
11. If general entry slots to races are sold out, are slots still available through the IRONMAN Executive Challenge?
Yes. A certain number of slots have been reserved for events in the IRONMAN XC series.
12. When should I plan on arriving and departing for the races within the IRONMAN XC Series?
For full-distance IRONMAN events, plan on arriving on Thursday (mid-day) for Sunday races and Wednesday (mid-day) for Saturday races. For IRONMAN 70.3 events, plan on arriving on two days before the race (Thursday arrival for Saturday races and Friday arrival for Sunday races). For most full-distance and 70.3 events, plan on your departure day being the day after the race.
13. Who should I have participant with me in a relay?
XC athletes can invite friends, family or colleagues to race in the relay.
14. What if I need to cancel? Are transfers, deferrals or refunds available?
Unfortunately, refunds are not available on deposits. An advance deposit of $2,500 (70.3) or $3,000 (140.6) is required for each IRONMAN XC package. IRONMAN XC packages are booked well in advance and are difficult to cancel due to pre-payment of various items. If a withdrawal request is received 60 days or more prior to the event date, you will receive a partial refund of $500 (of the deposit). All other withdrawal requests will result in a forfeit of the entire deposit.
In the unlikely event that an IRONMAN XC athlete needs to cancel after making the final payment, the final payment amount will be refunded.
15. Is there a limit to how many times an XC athlete can win the PR Challenge Slot?
Yes. Starting with the 2011 season and beyond, each XC athlete may win a PR Challenge slot only once (Please note: because we've started everyone with a clean slate beginning with the 2011 season, any PR Challenge slot won in 2009 or 2010 doesn't disqualify you from winning a PR Challenge slot in 2011 or later.)
16. How will improvements in PR times be calculated?
All PR time improvements will be calculated on a percentile basis.
17. How many races must I have completed to be eligible for a PR Challenge slot?
At IRONMAN (140.6) events - XC athletes must have completed at least three (3) official IRONMAN (140.6) events (prior to the XC event you are competing in). Your PR will be used from an event within the five (5) years prior to the upcoming IRONMAN XC event date.
At IRONMAN 70.3 events - XC athletes must have completed at least three (3) official IRONMAN 70.3 events (prior to the XC event you are competing in). Your PR will be used from an event within the five (5) years prior to the upcoming IRONMAN 70.3 XC event date.
18. Regarding PR Challenge slots, what does it mean that race locations are "handicapped?"
At IRONMAN (140.6) events - Since all 140.6 courses differ in degree of difficulty, we have time-adjusted calibrations for all race venues to allow for a fair comparison of each athlete’s PR.
At IRONMAN 70.3 events - 70.3 courses will not be handicapped for IRONMAN 70.3 PR Challenge purposes.
19. What does it mean to be awarded a World Championship slot through the IRONMAN XC program?
Athletes who qualify for a World Championship through the IRONMAN XC program are required to participate at the World Championship with IRONMAN XC. This means purchasing the IRONMAN XC World Championship package which includes the entry (slot) to the event, XC banquets and functions, preferred viewing access for XC guests, prime location accommodations, custom XC gear as well as other perks.
20. Are IRONMAN Executive Challenge athlete’s subject to drug testing and the IRONMAN Anti-Doping Rules?
As a condition of participation in each IRONMAN® and IRONMAN® 70.3® event, all registered athletes are required to acknowledge and abide by IRONMAN’s Anti-Doping Rules. In accordance with the Anti-Doping Rules, all registered athletes are subject to in and out-of-competition testing and are encouraged to learn and understand all applicable rules and obligations prior to registering for events (including, without limitation, the World Anti-Doping Agency’s anti-doping rules governing Prohibited Substances and Therapeutic Use Exemptions). When in doubt, athletes are encouraged to ask questions and to seek advice from qualified medical professionals.